Friday, October 15, 2010

Lion's Ear

Posted by Picasa
I bought this plant (Leonotis) at Petals From the Past in Clanton at their late summer sale. I had no idea what it was, but it was labelled as a perennial , so I wanted to give it a try. It is blooming at about 2 feet tall. It has stood up much better to the dry weather we've had since I planted it than the Mexican Salvia 'Limelight" which I got at the same time. In fact the 'Limelight' has disappeared completely. I have since planted a perennial coreopsis ( Creme Brulee) in its place.
Reading has lead me to believe that the lion's ear may or may not be perennial, and if it is not, I doubt it will have time to set seed before frost, so it may probably vanish also. But that's what you get when you buy something you do not know what is. But I like to try new plants and I also like surprises. More often than not the surprise does not work out, but still, it's worth the anticipation, which my mother-in-law has pointed out is often better than the event.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips
Blogging tips