Sunday, July 4, 2010

Sandpaper Plant

 
Posted by Picasa

Boehmeria is a member of the nettle family but it does not have stinging hairs. It does have beautiful leaves, making it a striking accent plant. It can be grown in pots and urns for a unforgettable effect alone or with other plants. It is a perennial at least through zone 8, coming back from the root. The flowers are white/cream tassels, but the leaves provide the real show. This plant is a rarity.
It may serve as a food plant for some butterfly larvae but mine have never been bothered.
Last winter was a hard one that several of my plants did not survive. Sandpaper plant came through with flying colors and in about 3 feet tall now. A spot could probably be found where it would show off to better advantage. Right now it is stuck in the middle of my main flower bed.
But I am not likely to move it soon. My real interest lilies in growing and in testing hardiness, not in beautiful landscaping.I am likely to use whatever space I have available for whatever plant I need to plant. Consequently, I get quite a jumbled to my flower beds. Right now the roses have disappeared under an overgrowth of coneflowers and lilies.If they survive long enough, I will liberate them from the overgrowth, but meanwhile, onward and upward.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips
Blogging tips