Thursday, October 13, 2011

Walnut Hazard

Posted by PicasaFor some time I have been looking at the large walnuts developing on my walnut tree that shaded the small fiberglass greenhouse. A few days ago I began to hear the hickory nuts banging the tin roof of the barn on their way down. My concern began to grow when I looked up at those extra large walnuts and how much taller the tree had gotten through the years. I knew I needed to do something about it, but I kept wishing the problem would solve itself. I should not have wasted my time. I had to get repairs to the fiberglass a couple years ago from walnut rockets. Of course I studied over it too long, and the next time I checked on the house, there were 3 dinner plate sized holes  in the fiberglass. I began hurriedly contacting everyone I knew with a chain saw to get the tree down NOW. Sunday evening a little before dark, Amos came and laid it over for me.  I was ever so grateful but now have to face getting the repairs done. I may have enough leftover fiberglass to fix it. Why on earth did I wait to get anything done when I knew what was going to happen?
 In addition to the damage to the fiberglass, I mourn the loss of the shade for the summertime heat. Perhaps I should get a fast growing bush or tree (without big fruits or nuts) and get it started now. To a gardener, every problem has a plant solution!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips
Blogging tips