Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Under the Bench







Posted by Picasa
It's that time of year again when I have to begin thinking about how I will get all my plants back into the greenhouse. My first task is always to check through all the pots inside the greenhouse as well as out and collect all the pots that have dead or dying plants. I set the soil aside to use again either in the outdoor beds or in large pots where I put the used soil in the bottom 1/2 to 1/3 of the pot. This clears out some space.
The second job is to pull out most of  the plants that are growing in the gravel floor of the greenhouse. It is a difficult job, because they are so pretty that I hate to get rid of them. But, I have to make room for the plants that live best under the benches, and besides, I know that by next year I will have a new crop of beautiful ferns and other plants making a jungle under there. It is sort of like getting rid of fall blooming ageratum in your flower beds. Every year after it blooms I pull up all I can find but by the following fall, I still have a nice crop to enjoy.
So
Goodbye beautiful ferns
And tropical philodendrons,
Goodbye miniature jungle,
Goodbye green fecundity
That springs up between rocks
And pots.
This is only a small space in our
Love affair,
Come back to me.
I will welcome you
Once more..

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips
Blogging tips