Monday, September 5, 2011

Pinched Sunflower

This sunflower is one of the big headed seed sunflowers. I prefer to buy my bird sunflower seed and chopped the top out of a couple when they had passed the pretty stage. This multiple flowered  sunflower was the result. I know that pinching the growing tips out of most plants causes them to become bushier, and that taking the central flower from mums and some other flowers will result in more blooms, usually smaller. But, I have never thought of doing the same to a sunflower. It was a joy for the short time sunflowers last. I frequently get big headed sunflowers sprouting around from my bird feeding activities, so I think I will be trying this trick again to get more flowers.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips
Blogging tips