Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Butterfly in the Surf at Caya Costa

 
Posted by Picasa


I found this Monarch in the surf, helplessly wet and unable to escape. I picked it up and set it on this dead tree hoping it would dry out and be able to take off again. It seemed sad that it had left the wintering grounds somewhere in Mexico and had almost made it to land after flying all the way across the Gulf of Mexico. And then maybe it dipped a little too low and a wave caught it or maybe it was too tired and fell into the surf right at land. I like to think that maybe I helped it survive and it may pass over Chambers County Alabama, maybe even my yard, sometime this spring as it is pulled northward by internal yearnings. What a strange and wonderful world we live in!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips
Blogging tips