Monday, January 25, 2010

White and Red Plumeria

In Hawaii I saw Plumerias of several different colors. Most were completely leafless while in bloom.. They are growing commercially to make leis but the ones I saw were in people's yards or other landsacaping. I have a large one in my greenhouse but it seldom blooms. I take cuttings off it to keep it from touching the top plastic in the greenhouse. Cuttings root and grow readily. Just cut a stem off and let the end try for a day or so. Then stick the cutting in a well draining planting media and it will root shortly. The one I have I originally got as a seed through the American Horticultural Society seed exchange. It's blooms have been few and none most years. But I may have discovered the reason. In reading about their cultivation, I may have been kindly giving them too much water. Apparently they need to dry out between waterings.  I did but a cutting of a red one in Hawaii and hope springs eternal-- maybe this time I will get some flowers. 
Plumeria are more fragrant at night. They lure sphinx moths . The moths move from flower to flower pollinating in search of the sweet nectar. It's all fake though. There is no nectar, only fragrance.It's probably just as well for the moths because plumeria are related to oleander and the nectar might be poison if there was any.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips
Blogging tips