Monday, September 14, 2009

Swallowtail Caterpillars

 

 
Posted by Picasa


The top picture shows what is left of my parsley plant. It was enjoyed by the caterpillars so that it is mostly gone. But, the plant will probably put out new growth in spite of being eaten to the nubbins. These caterpillars are quite ornamental themselves. I hope there was enough plant to satisfy this hungry group. Swallowtail butterflies lay their eggs singularly on leaves, but it looks to me like Ms Swallowtail kind of overdid it on this one poor parsley plant. Swallowtail caterpillars feed on members of the Umbillifera which includes parsley, dill, and even carrot foliage. I have not looked at them in several days. I bet they have crawled off somewhere and pupated by now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips
Blogging tips