Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Beach Hibiscus

 
Posted by Picasa


I don't know the name of this wild hibiscus but I remember collecting the seed down around Fort Morgan about 3 years ago. It was the last time my sister and I went to the beach. I stopped to admire a group of them blooming in what appeared to be pure sand. They were about a foot tall. I collected all the seed I could find which was maybe a dozen seed. The first year I got one plant to survive and I kept it in a pot in the greenhouse over winter. It lived but always looked cranky and spindly. In the fall it died. The next year I germinated another from seed the sickly one made. I put it in a pot and eventually decided the best course this year was to put it in the flower bed. It is definitely happy there and I think of that trip everytime I admire its delicate pink flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips
Blogging tips