Saturday, September 5, 2009

Bean Gourds

 

 

 
Posted by Picasa


The other day I was complaining that neither my squash nor my gourds had set any fruit. In the case of the squash they bloomed aplenty but never made anything. I remember hearing that there is a bug that causes the fruit not to form, but I did not know that it effected gourds. Well, I guess it does not. A couple days after my complaint, I glanced up in the cedar tree and got my comeuppance. They are about 3 feet long.
These gourds are known by several names: edible Italian gourd, bean gourd,and bitter mellon. My seed originally came from a relative who had visited South America and brought the seed back several years ago. I had grown them once before and had dried them and painted one in a whimiscal fashion. I have seen several recipes for cooking them, mostly stir fry, but the point was mentioned that they are still bitter after cooking. Apparently soaking is salt water does away with some of the bitterness. I am not going to eat them. I just like growing weird things. It is fascinating to see how the vines have made it to the top of the cedar. This is a handy trellis that I have used for years. I have 2 twenty gallon pots situated at the edge of the limb line and since the limbs dip low over the pots, they get plenty of sun as well as having a ready made trellis. Then I do not have to worry about the vines scrambling all over the yard with grass growing up all around.
I have tried to think of what these gourds would be good for besides eating. The only thing I have come up with is a penis cover. Many years ago I saw a picture in National Geographic that was unforgetable. A group of natives were lined up to show off their attire. There was a wild assortment of gourds, and it was truly funny. I wonder if they were just pulling the photographer's leg.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips
Blogging tips