Sunday, October 19, 2008

What's Blooming Now: Moonvines

 

Even though it is late for moonflowers, mine got a late start so I am glad they are blooming at all.Moonflowers typically start in high summer and continue till the seed production causes them to cut back on flowering.These fast growing vines have heart shaped leaves, but their real beauty is the stark white flowers which open in the early evening. When the humidity is low enough, they open so quickly that you can see the movement. They frequently shake the vine as they burst forth. They are said to emit a sweet fragrance as they open but I have never experienced this. Frequently the bloosoms open so far above ground that it is hard to get close enough for a sniff. I usually train these up nylon cord on the west end of the porch so that they provide afternoon shade in the heat of summer. They have no trouble reaching the roof,10-12 feet .
Sometimes the seed will volunteer where they dropped the summer before because this vine is an annual. Usually I collect some seed to make sure I get some started when I want them, that is , early. Moonvines have a hard seed coat and that may be the reason so few seedlings volunteer. When I am ready to plant the seed, I start them soaking in hot water (from the faucet, not boiling) and leave them overnight. By the morning the seed coats are beginning to loosen and I plant the soaked seed where I want them to grow. I water for the first few days so that they do not dry out again which would kill the seed. In just a few days you will see the large coteledons spring forth and they are on their way.
It is nice to sit on the porch after supper and watch them open in the twilight and sip a mint juliep. Actually, forget the mint juliep. That is the worst tasting drink I ever had (I think).
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Very good idea about soaking seeds, had never thought of that.

    Nice to stumble onto a blog based on nature and positive things.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips
Blogging tips