Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Cissus species

 

 
Posted by Picasa


After checking back over my entries, I see that I have not regaled you with the beauties of one of my favorite plants, Cissus discolor. These can be grown in a hanging basket, but to my mind they are far more attractive displayed against the bark of a tree. One of these is a red oak, the other is a pecan. The silver, dark green and purple leaves shine through the hot days of summer and into fall. The underside of the leaves is a beautiful maroon. From a pot at the base of the tree it frequently grows 15 feet to the first limb of the tree and onward. After some initial help getting started to climb, it is able to scoot on up by using red tendrils to grasp the bark.
Cissus discolor will not overwinter outside here in zone 8, but one of the easy to love features of this plant is that it goes dormant overwinter, even in the greenhouse. This means it needs little water and no other care except to be kept from freezing. After it is reliably warm again, it springs forth from dormant buds along the stem. Just before frost, which may come this week,I harden my heart and cut it off at some manageable point, usually 2-3 feet above pot level, and take it to a corner of the greenhouse.
In the second picture you see a succulent looking vine clinging to the bark of the tree also. It is about in the center of the frame.This is a Cissus quadrangularis, also known as Veld Grape. Who would believe these two plants are the same genus? I have never seen either of these plants bloom, so that would tell the tale. Extracts of C. quadrangularis may be used to treat obesity and blood sugar levels as well as promoting heart health. It hales from south and east Africa, India, and Arabia. I grow this strictly as an oddity. I don't think it is all that beautiful.
Both plants root easily from cuttings made when the plants are actively growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips
Blogging tips