Saturday, May 2, 2009

Red Buckeye


 
Posted by Picasa


The red buckeyes (Aesculus pavia) have certainly been beautiful this year. Mine is starting to fade now though. The first picture is of the little buckeyes forming. Buckeyes usually do not make many seed. They do not set many seed and of those they set, some will abort before maturity. I suppose this derives from the specific growing conditions it faces at the time.
When I was growing up buckeye seeds were touted as a good luck piece and lots of folks carried them in their pockets or purse or with a hole in it on their key chain. The seeds are beautiful, so slick and chocolaty. Now they are used in natural landscaping or simply to glorify their creator in the woods.
To have anywhere near a successful germination rate, the seeds need to planted outside immediately after harvest. Last year when I was harvesting I noticed at least half of the seeds had tiny holes where a worm(s) had apparently made it's exit.These are still good for charms but will not germinate. I suppose something lays it's eggs in the flower and it lives in the seed till becoming a larvae and exits into the ground to pupate. That is how pecan worms do, and I guess applies here. If anyone knows anything about what insect this is or how to treat for it, I would appreciate the info.
Here in east central Alabama and southward, buckeyes are shrubs, but in the mountains (Smokies) they are huge trees. Wonder of wonders.
Once Hugo brought back some HUGE buckeye seeds from California. I planted them and actually got a plant. However it has struggled along and never even bloomed. Maybe it would appreciate better soil than that in farmed out Alabama. I hesitate to move it, because in my experience buckeyes do not move easily and usually succumb.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips
Blogging tips