Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Mulch and Compost Ruminations

I pawed through my trove of seeds and found some annual poppies and some larkspurs. I cast aside the notion that I was going to add mulch to the flower bed before I planted it, and cast the seed instead. Larkspur and poppy seed should not be covered when they are planted as they require light for germination. All you need is some prepared soil, or some unprepared soil if it is relatively weed free and not too hard. They really should be planted in October, but since I didn't get it done then, now seemed like a good time. I just broadcast them over last year's mulch. Mulch in Alabama turns to soil and/or disappears so quickly that I am constantly reapplying it.
The other day on the radio I heard an Alabama gardener who said that because of our warm temperatures and abundant rain (most years), compost disappears very quickly. That it does. Which explains my desire to chop leaves and apply them directly to the gardening beds. Some gardeners like to dig small holes and put their potato peelings and strawberry hats directly in the soil. I have only done this once or twice and it works fine. The problem for me is that my beds are mostly random and I am always afraid of digging into bulbs or perennials.
Lots of my bulbs are up and some have the buds already. I saw one of the ole timey ones at Mother's house that will be open tomorrow. It is in a row that has been there for a hundred years.Those old daffodils are so hardy, and they bloom first. They start off quite short and the bloom stems elongate right along with the leaves so that by the time they are in full bloom, they are not short at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips
Blogging tips