Monday, November 17, 2008

Sumac

 


This is the plant that my dad called Shoe Make. You can see how a person unschooled in plant names might make this mistake, and it was a name widely known in Chambers County where I grew up. By any name Sumac has brilliant fall color and screams to be noticed on the roadsides and places where it gets ample sun. Sumac blooms in early summer with a big blousey inflorescence. Not only are the fall leaves beautiful, but in the case of Staghorn Sumac, the berries are also a knockout.They are a dark red and speak of the heat of the summer sun. They are said to make a great lemonade-like drink high in vitamin C, but I have never been brave enough to try it. Birds love the berries, and I am sure that is how this interloper came to my garden. I frequently pick the seed heads and hang them in bushes where I can see the birds eat them.
I recommend planting this on the edge of your yard or in some other place where you are not planning to grow anything else any time. While it is beautiful in most seasons, this is not a character for flower beds. I did not notice this plant till this year and you can see the size it got to. It has sent out suckers in the bed and even into the surropunding grass. I left it so I could enjoy it's fall color, but it will be gone (hopefully) by spring. I suspect I may be fighting it for several years to come. You know how these plants are always in groupings along the road? Well, there is a reason for that. It naturally forms clumps.
One note of caution. Not all members of this genus are friendly. If you see a Sumac with grey berries, keep your distance. It is Poison Sumac and will cause a rash on many people.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips
Blogging tips