Sunday, August 31, 2008

Crinium lilies

 
Posted by Picasa


Crinium lilies can be seen throughout the South from mid summer on. The ones seen most often are referred to as "milk and wine" lilies as they are white with a maroon streak down the petals. This one is somewhat of a rarity as it is all wine colored. It generally puts up flower stalks several times during summer. I have forgotten where I got this but I am sure I bought it several years ago (as opposed to receiving it as a pass-along plant as is often the case with milk and wine). With almost no care it has increased in size to a nice clump, and rewards me with both beauty and fragrance. As evidence to the lack of care these fine plants require, they are often seen at old home sites where the house has been gone for many years. Keep a lookout for these old soldiers as you drive along old roads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips
Blogging tips