Friday, March 8, 2013

Cymbidium 'Crystal Spring'

I had not watered in the greenhouse for several days. There had been no need. During cold overcast days, plants in the greenhouse don't use much water. Yesterday with the sun bright I checked and then began my watering routine. That's when I saw a flash of white deep under the mounds of miniature Cymbidium foliage. This is definitely NOT a miniature. In fact, the blooms are as large as many medium sized Cattleyas. I flung my watering wand down and  rescued it before any cold water could touch the flowers (water makes dark spots of the bloom). This plant was given to me as a Christmas present in 2011. If it bloomed last year, I don't have a record of it. What a surprise, and what a delight! There are only four flowers on the stalk, but the joy I felt at seeing it could not have been greater if there had been 20!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips
Blogging tips