Thursday, August 11, 2011

Rudbeckia

Posted by Picasa

Rudbeckias go under many different names. They are commonly referred to as cone flowers or black or brown eyed susans. I call the ones I grow gloriosa daisies, and they may have been when I first started to grow them. They reseed and cross freely in my flower bed, so that I now have a mixture of several kinds. They are one of the easiest and most rewarding of common garden flowers. They last wonderfully in the vase.  In the garden mine usually last only one year, although they can sometimes be made to re-bloom by dead heading before the seeds in the flowers mature. If you let them reseed after the second flush of blooms, the goldfinches enjoy the seed, but will leave enough behind to bloom next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips
Blogging tips