Sunday, July 3, 2011

Cinnamon Fern

This is a group of Cinnamon fern (Osmunda cinnamomea) growing on the north side of my Mother's house. They are growing just under the drip of the house, so they got as much water as was naturally available. I have tried them at my house without success. Maybe I just had them in the wrong place. I would like to try again as they are such lovely things. These are about 3 feet tall, but they can get much larger. I remember when Mother and I collected the original fern from a wet spot in what we called the Huckleberry Woods. The wet spot caught drainage from the corn field which provided a rich source of nitrogen. The ferns were 4/5 feet tall and each frond was 8-10 inches wide. I had never seen such glory in a fern. Mother, who was as big a collector of plants as I am, could not leave without one. Eventually I found a small one I could move for her.
Sometime I must go back there and see what is at that site now. This must have been more than 10 years ago.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips
Blogging tips