Sunday, September 19, 2010

A Hibiscus from Gulf Shores


Posted by Picasa
I do not know the name of this hibiscus, but it is a beauty growing about 4 feet tall in my flower bed. The pink flowers are 2 1/2-3 inches wide and are much smaller and more delicate in appearance from most perennial hibiscus.  I collected the seed from a plant growing in pure sand near Gulf Shores. There were a number of these plants in the area, and I checked them all till I got a bout a dozen seed. This is one of the resulting plants from that collection. The plants I got the seed from were barely a foot tall. I guess it just shows the potential when the plant had access to better soil. I collected this on the last trip my sister and I made to the beach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips
Blogging tips