Sunday, June 28, 2009



I saved a box turtle on the road this afternoon after the rain. I am on the turtle rescue patrol. Sometimes it is dangerous (not today) and people who deliberately run over turtles probably would not mind running the rescue patrol down either. But I know I am no better than the sadistic drivers who use turtles for targets, because I feel like killing the people who run over a turtle in front of me that I was trying to save. And I have had that happen more than once.
After hatching, a box turtle usually tries to stay hidden for 5 or 6 years. By that time it has grown enough not to be so vulnerable. Box turtles may live to 100 years, so some of these turtles you see on the road are older than you are, Bud, so have a little respect.The home range of a box turtle is about 750 feet, but occasionally it will wander further. If a road bisects the turtle's range, you can see this is a disaster waiting to happen. It memorizes its territory and when it is removed from its home range, it can be difficult for the turtle to acclimate to a new location and find food,water, and shelter. It may also be traumatized by being moved and unable to eat for days. So unless you are willing to take on the care and feeding of an animal who may outlive you, it is best to let them go their way in the wild. If a turtle is removed from the wild, it should be replaced as near as possible to where it was found.
There are several ways to sex a turtle and I usually check to see the sex of any turtle that I meet while on patrol. Interestingly, they are mostly male. The male plastron (bottom shell) is concave and probably aides in balance during copulation. The females' plastron is only slightly concave or flat. Males usually have red eyes and females have reddish brown eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips
Blogging tips