Sunday, June 28, 2009

Euphemism: Passed

Passed
I dislike this current use of the word. In my opinion, people do not pass, they just die. Saying they "passed" does not change a thing. Cars pass,and sometimes the people in them give a perfunctory wave. A test is passed. Pass is what you do with gas. But people just die. Nothing can change that, certainly not giving death a euphemistic name like "passed". It reminds me of the story of a distant relative who was much to cultured to say worm, so she pronounced it wor'am.
There are many euphemisms in use. One is to call guns and bombs anti-personal weapons. I think that the use of these kinds of words is always an effort to hide the real truth, and I do not think concealing truth benefits anyone except crooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips
Blogging tips