Sunday, February 22, 2009

Hellebores

 

 
Posted by Picasa


The pink hellebore in the top picture is blooming now in my yard in east central Alabama. It is probably 6 or 8 years old. It bloomed the second winter after I planted it, and has increased in size and blooms every year. I give it almost no care, except I did water it the first year in the ground. But not after that. It is growing in the dry shade of an oak tree , and I suppose benefits from the leaf drop. When the summer gets underway, it gradually retreats into a tattered tired looking form, but it will be back next winter with it's lovely blooms. It is often called a Lenten or a Christmas roses but is in no way related to roses. The name refers to the bloom time. From my reading I think if I gave mine more care (i.e. water and fertilizer) it would grow faster and bigger. I have another plant but it has never bloomed and only has three leaves. Maybe I could goose it along with more water and fertilizer. In the event that you wish to purchase one, go for the bigger plant for the few dollars more as this will cut years off the growing time.
The second picture of the white hellebore was taken at Calloway Gardens last week. There are some on the Rhododendron trail near the Butterfly house.
These are long lived plants and are rarely bothered by deer or rabbits, maybe because they are reported to be poison.
Other than the name Hellebores, these are great plants. Get thee to the garden center and get thyself one. Then report back to me so I can get another one. I think my original one came from Home Depot.

1 comment:

  1. bob's white one has been up...you are right, it takes care of itself!
    m

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips
Blogging tips