Thursday, February 19, 2009

February at The Sibley Center

 

 

 
Posted by Picasa


The Sibley Center at Calloway has a lot of succulents and dry area plants, but they are accented with other blooming plants. Red Amaryllis were set in among the succulents and made an outstanding display. The pictures show the main display in the Sibley Center. It is arranged so it can be viewed from both above and below. Right now the central display is cyclamen in red, white, and pink.
Cyclamen is one of my favorite winter plants. To keep it looking it's best it should be kept in a cool bright place. Heat is its undoing. They go dormant when the weather gets warm. I have managed to have one or two to live and bloom the second year, but it is really not worth the effort. Mine never make as good a show the second year. Usually the bulb rots over the summer. I have one that had a few crooked blooms this winter in it's second year and a few days ago I set it outside in the ground. It may not live, but I have at least given it a decent burial. There are 2 types of Cyclamen. One is the florists cyclamen and I expect these are the kind that appears in these display beds. The other is the hardy type. I have grown these from seed (a tedious and tiresome project even for a plant lover like me) and I still have a couple alive after maybe 10 years or so. They bloom a little but even if they didn't, their leaves are exquisite.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips
Blogging tips