Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Okra , a southern delicacy

 

 


Unfortunately, these okra plants only show a very immature pod. The reason is that I had picked all the ones large enough before I thought to take a picture.These were taken in my friends garden where I picked about a gallon and a half (Thanks Martha Ann).Okra is one of the fine vegetables that love the heat and humidity and grow when most other garden veggies start to languish. You can buy frozen okra ready for frying but to me the home grown fresh stuff is far superior. For one thing the bresding is too thick on the bought stuff. Also, like nearly any vegetable , it is just better fresh.
I prefer it fried. I used to dust it with cornmeal to ready for frying, but now I use flour. At the Farmer's Market I mentioned this to someone and she drew back in horror as if I had committed some sort of sacriledge. But, that's what I do. I think it sticks better than cornmeal, but there is not any difference in taste that I can detect. The only thing about frying okra is to watch it carefully because one moment it is ready and the next it is burnt. Even though I am partial to burnt offerings, I do agree that unburnt okra is best.
Some folks like boiled okra. It is best boiled with the vegetables (peas, butterbeans). There are also numerous dishes where it is a wonderful component. Seafood gumbo may be the best known and loved.
I have heard that okra was used in one of the world wars to make a plasma substitute, but I have not done the research on that. It makes a good story though, doesn't it?
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. "Song to Okra" by Roy Blount, Jr.

    String beans are good, and ripe tomatoes,
    And collard greens and sweet potatoes,
    Sweet corn, field peas, and squash and beets –
    But when a man rears back and eats
    He wants okra.

    Good old okra.

    Oh wow okra, yessiree,
    Okra is Okay with me.

    Oh okra's favored far and wide,
    Oh you can eat it boiled or fried,
    Oh either slick or crisp inside,
    Oh I once knew a man who died
    Without okra.

    Little pepper-sauce on it,
    Oh! I wan' it:
    Okra.

    Old Homer Ogletree's so high
    On okra he keeps lots laid by.
    He keeps it in a safe he locks up.
    He eats so much, can't keep his socks up.
    (Which goes to show it's no misnomer
    When people call him Okra Homer.)
    Okra!

    Oh you can make some gumbo wit' it,
    But most of all I like to git it
    All by itself in its own juice,
    And lying there all nice and loose –
    That's okra!
    It may be poor for eating chips with,
    It may be hard to come to grips with,
    But okra's such a wholesome food
    It straightens out your attitude.
    "Mm!" is how discerning folk re-
    Spond when they are served some okra.

    Okra's green,
    Goes down with ease.
    Forget cuisine
    Say "Okra, please."

    You can have strip pokra,
    Give me a nice girl and a dish of okra.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips
Blogging tips