Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Butterbeans, Anyone?

 

 
Posted by Picasa


This giant bean was grown from an "egg" as you see in the first picture. It was stamped (maybe burned) with "I Love You". This is something that only a plant lover could appreciate I am sure. I guess most people would have tossed it after it germinated, but I gave it a good home in a pot and the beans you see in the second picture are the result. Those beans are about 12 inches long and more than an inch wide at the widest point. Huge, in other words. This seed was germinated in 2006. This plant is 2 years old, but it made pods like this last year also. When dry, the beans inside are rose colored. At the end of the season, I cut it back to a manageable size and set it in the greenhouse where it began to wrapped up everything in sight. When it was warm enough outside, I set the pot out again and let it grow this summer. I wonder if I could go for the oldest bean on record?

1 comment:

  1. It would take only a couple of these to make a "mess".

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips
Blogging tips