Saturday, March 5, 2011

Einstein Quote

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
This is one of those quotes that circle the internet periodically. I tried to look up and see if this was actually an Einstein quote but there comes a point where like the newspapers, someone reports something, true or false, and everyone repeats it so that after a time it takes on a life of its own, true or not.
 But it seems true to me, no matter who said it.
I have seen these types of sentiments applied to animals many times. The truth is if an animal was stupid, it would not last long. Each animal is very smart in the ways it needs to be to live and reproduce. It is not fair to condemn an animal for not being able to dial a telephone or do other things that are associated with a human intellect or life style.
The same is easily applicable to the human species. It is a sort of self fulfilling prophesy. Tell a child (or adult) they are stupid long enough and they will come to believe it. We could all benefit from others reinforcing our strengths instead of our weaknesses. I can't draw realistic figures, but I can still do art that please myself at least. I can't dance with any degree of grace, but I am a champion of hole digging. (Maybe I am part bird dog.)
 Some are academic giants, but can't remember to flush a toilet . Some are excellent cooks, but can't drive a car. Some people can play beautiful music, but can't match their clothes. Lets celebrate the gifts we have and the gifts we see in others instead of dwelling on the have-nots.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips
Blogging tips