Saturday, January 8, 2011

Christmas Cymbidiums




I received these 3 beautiful Cymbidium orchids for Christmas. Needless to say I was very pleased. The pink one is a miniature similar to a yellow one I have been growing for years. In fact I have several in bud and bloom right now in the greenhouse. These are smaller plants and blooms and can be accommodated more readily on a table for display in the home. The large yellow one in the first picture is so beautiful and the white makes me smack my lips!!! What a great present for me!
Cymbidiums are easily grown in a loamy humus in some combination of fur bark, perlite, and peat moss. They  need ample amounts of water in the spring, summer, and fall, but watering should be tapered off to some degree in the winter. The plants should not be allowed to dry out and should be kept moist to the touch. They should be watered bimonthly with a weak fertilizer solution, or they can be fed with a slow release fertilizer. I prefer the slow release fertilizer as it is simpler and does not tend to over feed. High nitrogen fertilizers should be avoided as they may inhibit flowering.I put my Cymbidiums outside in some shade as soon as frost has ended, and leave them there till after the first light frost. Cymbidiums can withstand a good bit of cold, and are generally safe at 40 degrees F. In fact the cooler temperatures cause the flower buds to initiate, and mine usually begin to bloom in January, just when we need some winter cheer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips
Blogging tips