Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Fossil Collecting

 
Posted by Picasa


In July I was lucky enough to be invited on a fossil hunt and I really had a great day. With the help of some other folks I came home with quite a load of beautiful stuff which I still need to preserve some way. But, this picture is the place we collected from. It is an abandoned coal mine near Birmingham, Alabama and it has amphibian trail fossils. This is apparently very rare. I found one or two, but nothing I would definitively say was an amphibian trail. I did get some seed fern fossils and some other plant fossils that I was well pleased with.
In the fall of 2008, we visited our daughter at Cornell and she took us on a whirlwind tour of the surrounding area. One of the places we went was a fossil mine that had marine fossils. I think I could really get into this fossil hunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips
Blogging tips