Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Backstreet of LaFayette, Alabama

 

 
Posted by Picasa


I remember the first time I saw what the buildings in LaFayette looked like from the back. What I actually remember was how horrified I was. I had seen them from the front and 50 years ago, they looked quite a bit better in front than from behind. (Maybe most of us do, too.) Then again, maybe not. But I digress.Fifty years ago, LaFayette was a thriving place, with all the buildings on the square occupied by stores. Now they are mostly empty and dilapidated, and no amount of window dressing is going to change that. I don't think they look much worse from the back than they did then.
What I do not understand is why someone in town does not come up with a plan to try to save the town instead of tossing a few flowers on the graves of the dead businesses. What would lead people to believe that a statue of a dead boxer will become a tourist attraction? If the town wants tourism, or anything else for its citizens, it needs to try to lure new people and business. It needs to provide suitable entertainment for it's children and teens, it needs to promote the value of education, and turn away from the easy route that does not work.

1 comment:

  1. Years ago I worked for the Girl Scout council and Chambers County was in my territory. I always wondered if they would ever do anything with the city but I guess not. I live in Washington state now in a small town with a thriving downtown area. The chamber of commerce and businesses support a variety of events to bring people in. There is a tremendous difference in the two towns.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips
Blogging tips