Sunday, March 8, 2009

Dendrobium Orchid

 
Posted by Picasa


I have grown this Dendrobium for more than 30 years and in all that time I have NEVER repotted it. I suppose the thought to be gained from this tale is that it does best with no potting media. It is clearly a mass of hanging roots. When I water I just turn the hose on it. However when it is blooming I try not to get water on the blooms because cold water can cause spotting on orchid blooms. I water it every time I water in the greenhouse except during the winter. I do not water from about October till I see the buds forming about late January. This does seem a bit cruel, but it appears to trigger bloom. When I take pity on it and water, I get few or no flowers.

Ain't we glad to see Daylight Saving Time????

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips
Blogging tips